A continent known for its magnificent beauty and variety of species and flora, Africa is one the best places to find multiple trekking locations. These locations are filled with picturesque views and natural vegetation that surrounds it. Africa is filled with mountains, from north to south and east to west. The climate at these peaks can sometimes get a little rough for trekkers and hence one must make sure to carry essentials. Countries like Kenya, Ethiopia and Tanzania have several peaks and mountain treks that adventure enthusiasts would love.
Here are a few of the top treks in Africa:-
1. Mount Kenya– Located in the diverse Kenya, Mount Kenya is Africa’s second highest peak. The range is home to peaks like Batain and Nelion at 5200 meters and 5188 meters, these peaks are climbed by extremely well trained and experienced treks and they require an extreme level of technicality to be climbed. However, Lenana located at 4985 meters is the perfect peak that most treks head to for spectacular views through the white clouds into the widely spread grasslands of Kenya. The slopens of the mountain are extremely steep giving way to rock, ice, snow and water to pass through them, making it comparatively easier for the trekkers to help them reach their destination. The mountain is a part of the Mount Kenya National Reserve. The best time to visit these mountains is from January- February and July- October. During these months the air is extremely fresh and gives the best experience to its visitors.
2. Mount Kilimanjaro– Located in the safari country of Tanzania, Mount Kilimanjaro is Africa’s highest peak located at 19,336 meters. The location is extremely renowned among trekkers having at least 20,000 people who visit the mountain every year. The trek here is extremely different from other locations because it takes one through not only 1 but 5 different climatic zones. The routes to reach the summit vary based on traffic, difficulty and scenic beauty. The easiest routes are the Marangu and the Rongai, and the most difficult being Machame, Shira, and Lemosho. The difficult routes are comparatively longer but also have a better scenic view and look into the beauties of Africa.
3. Atlas Mountains– Situated in the ancient country of Morocco the Atlas range is home to finest views one can get from the country. Located at a height of 4,17 meters the mountain has a comparatively difficult trek which is totally worth the spectacular view of the city of Imlil. It is possible to trek the mountain and also be back to the city within a day, but it suggested that one must spend around 3 days there to gain full experience of the mountain’s peaceful atmosphere.
4. The Drakensberg– The highest peak in South Africa also known as uKhahlamba in Zulu which means the ‘barriers of spears’. The lower parts of the mountain range are ideal for day treks, horse riding, camping and bird watching. Although as one goes up higher, the treks get more challenging and only experienced trekkers are able to cross these difficult roads. Enthusiastic trekkers should look into the Drakensberg Traverse, a 2-3 week long hike that takes one around the marvellous peaks in the mountain range. Drakensberg is also home to the Tugela falls that drops over 3,000 meters and tumbles over 5 different tiers.
5. Mount Elgon– An extinct waterfall located on the borders of the marvellous countries of Kenya and Uganda, Mount Elgon is home to 5 major peaks, Wagagai (4321 meters) in Uganda and Sudek (4302 meters) in Kenya. These two are the highest peaks in the mountain range of Elgon. In addition to the open air and blue skies, visitors get a chance to hike between gorges, beautiful waterfalls and sandstone caves. There are also professional guides that take one around the majestic mountain range. 5 days is the ideal time required for one to pass through the beautiful range of mountains and the ideal time for one to do this between December to March because of the climate, it is not too hot or cold.
6. Simien Mountains– Located in the dry and arid country of Ethiopia, the Simien mountains have several peaks at 4,000 meters and the highest one Ras dashen at 4543 meters making it the fourth tallest mountain peak in the continent. Trekking on these mountains is an extremely memorable experience because of the multiple streams, beautiful scenery and the exotic wildlife that one can find during a trek.
These are a few of the most glorious and beautiful mountains that are present and scattered around the continent. These are ideal for visitors who wish to get a perfect view of the green forests, widely spread grasslands and clear blue sky in Africa. These are known to be the hotspots and reach the epitome of natural beauty. They provide visitors with the purest form of oxygen. These are the places where you can even catch a few of the most exotic and wild species of animals, birds and even insects. An ideal place for exploring nature and finding its true beauty, these are the few places where can find absolute beauty and serenity.