Surrounded by the Southern Ocean and divided in two by the Transantarctic Mountains, Antarctica is the fifth-largest continent in the area at 14 million sq km, twice the size of Australia. A frozen continent where about 98% of it is covered by ice that averages at least 1.9 kilometers in thickness, Antarctica, on average, is the coldest, driest, and windiest continent.
It is considered a snow desert, with annual precipitation of only 200 mm (8 inches) along the coast and far less inland. The temperatures can reach as low as −89 °C because of which there are no permanent human residents over here. The continent is only home to 1,000 to 5,000 people who reside throughout the year at the research stations scattered across the continent. It is protected by the Antarctic Treaty of 1959 signed to date by 49 countries that strictly prohibits military activities and mineral mining, nuclear explosions and nuclear waste disposal supports scientific research and protects the continent’s ecozone.
WHAT TO SEE ON ANTARCTICA TOUR
- Kayaking at Gerlache coastlineKayaking at the Gerlache coastline is the most peaceful experience that one can have during a trip to Antarctica. Surrounded by the pristine glaciers, clear blue sky and snow-clad mountains, Gerlache coastline is the most beautiful place in Antarctica where one can spot whale, seal, orca, minke at water level. Sighting marine life in Antarctica is something that one should not miss. One can also do Kayaking over here. Since the water at Antarctica is extremely cold, dry suits are provided to keep visitors going for kayaking relatively warm and dry.
- Hangout with PenguinsThe main attraction of the Antarctica tour is the sight of the group of Penguins. The Falkland Islands in Antarctica are home for six species of penguins namely Gentoo, Adelie, Macaroni, Rockhopper, Chinstrap, and Emperor. Watch Penguins venturing in their natural habitat.
- Cruising among the icebergsA sturdy, small, and inflatable boat ride will take visitors among the snow-covered mountains, glaciers, and icebergs. One can easily spot penguins, leopard seals, and other marine creatures here. This boat ride is very popular among photographers.
- Research Centre visitThere are various research centers in Antarctica to study ecology, meteorology, physics, seismology, biology, and glaciology. An Antarctica cruise ship takes visitors for a research center visit at Vernadsky Research Base at Galindez Island.
- Dip in icy waterThis is one of the enthralling and terrifying activities of Antarctica excursion that will give you a lifetime memory. Wear a bathing suit and jump into the chilly water of Antarctica and enjoy swimming in the freezing water.
Scuba DivingAntarctica excursion includes scuba diving to see the underwater iceberg view, corals, crystal clear water, and marine life. scuba diving is a more thrilling experience than taking a dip into the freezing water of Antarctica.